Led By Barry Dreger
August 1 – 5 at Flemington Ice Arena
August 22 – 26 at Mennen Ice Arena
USA Hockey rules have changed the way checking needs to be taught. Learning the new techniques and strategies to be successful in the newest era of hockey will be our primary focus… Checking with confidence begins with a strong skating base and understanding how to use it both offensively and defensively. Players will learn how to protect themselves while giving and absorbing checks in open ice and along the boards properly and safely. Defensive body contact skills will be taught in a safe and organized progression. Techniques to initiate offensive contact and create time and space to make plays will be a primary focus of the camp.
- Stride Techniques and Strong Skating foundation: Edgework, body control, and awareness
- Single-foot push, 10 and 2 techniques
- Angling and steering techniques: role checking and pin checking
- Foundational Scoring: Creating offense in tight areas, Puck protection, boxing out. Reading and feeling the pressure
- Strategy and positional play: Board works to breakout, Wedge Technique. Off the Wall, layers, net-front battle technique
- Small-area games will be used to strengthen and reinforce the skills learned during the week.